Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mt Wilson




Mt Wilson is a most interesting village high up in the mountains. It is known as the Heritage Garden Town. In the late 1800's wealthy Sydney-siders escaped the heat of the city and drove up into the cool of the mountains (once the road through the mountain had been constructed). They developed large pieces of property that happened to have the most fertile, volcanic soil. The evidence of this is seen all over the place - the trees, the plants, the old houses with their expansive, perfectly manicured gardens. Most of the properties are probably only used for holidays as the current population is only 218. They must have to be extremely self sufficient as there isn't one single shop. There is only one, rather expensive cafe - Chimney Cottage- but........ Australia Post is here!!
We spent a while driving and walking - very slowly so I didn't miss a single photo opportunity. I must say Chris was very patient with my happy, clicking finger!!. The place is renowned as a special place for photographers. I understand why as many of the photos I took were nowhere near as good as what I had actually seen. There is so much shade and light to take into account.
As we drove through the mountains on our way home,I said to Chris that Mt Wilson is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in - another one!! I even spotted the little white cottage I will be buying if it ever comes on the market!!